Dafabet WPL Play-Off Final

Published on 9 May, 2016 
By: Mark Williams

Gap Connah's Quay host Airbus UK Broughton in the €200,000 match for the last place in the UEFA Europa League Qualifying Rounds.


This coming Saturday holds quite possibly the biggest match Flintshire has ever seen with the Deeside Stadium hosting the Dafabet Welsh Premier League Play-Off Final for a place in the UEFA Europa League Qualifying Rounds.

Saturday 14th May
gap Connah's Quay v Airbus UK Broughton (17:15 - Live on S4C)

gap Connah's Quay made Club history on Sunday afternoon by reaching their first ever Dafabet Welsh Premier League Play-Off Final with a 2-0 win over Carmarthen Town, thanks to goals from Nick Rushton and Wes Baynes.

Following the encounter Nomads boss Andy Morrison spoke to Sgorio, "Great achievement, great result but a shocking performance which I put down to the weather. The boys were dead at half time, I had to try and pick them up for the last 45 minutes, just to get us through. I thought Carmarthen were playing with freedom as the pressure was on us to win, anything else was failure to us."

When Morrison was asked about the week to come ahead of the Final he stated, "Rest, rest, rest, it's that time of year when you've got such a small squad, Airbus have got a massive squad. We need to patch our lads up and get a game plan, or make it as possible for them as we can."

"It would be great and I'll be very very proud to take Connah's Quay to Europe, in my first managerial role - to come from bottom of the league to a Play-Off Final is a staggering achievement." Morrison added.

Airbus bounced back from their JD Welsh Cup Final defeat against The New Saints on Monday to keep their dream of securing their place in the UEFA Europa League for a fourth successive season very much alive.

The Wingmakers saw off Newtown in the Semi-Final 2-1 at Latham Park thanks to a penalty brace from man of the match Matty McGinn. After the match McGinn spoke to #WPLRADIO, "It was a good 2-1 win, an excellent performance from the lads. We had a few chances but it came down to two penalties. Despite Newtown giving us a big physical challenge, I thought we were the better side."

Airbus UK Broughton manager, Andy Preece shared his thoughts after the match, "Credit to Newtown second half, I though that we dominated the first half and were really comfortable and they came out and just gave it their all and that's what you've got to do in these games, you don't want to come off the pitch wondering what you could have done".

Earlier in the season it was a 1-1 draw with Ashley Ruane cancelling out Tony Gray's opener. The reverse Phase One match ended 3-2 to Airbus UK Broughton with Ian Kearney, James Murphy and Tony Gray grabbing the goals. gap Connah's Quay got their win over the Wingmakers winning 0-1 thanks to Nathan Woolfe's goal. At the beginning of April the Nomads secured another win over Airbus 2-1 with a first half brace from Nick Rushton.

Referee: Dean John
Assistant Referees: Gareth Wyn Jones & Dan Beckett
4th Official: Mark Petch

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Search this site

Follow us on Facebook
Swansea Referees' Society
Copyright © 2010- 2022
WordPress Design by CiaoWeb