West Wales Intermediate Cup Final

Published on 11 May, 2009 
By: David Rees

Congratulations to Tim Drean tim

Tim has been appointed to referee the WWFA Intermediate Cup Final on Wednesday 13Th May at the Liberty Stadium, between Bonymaen Colts and South Gower.

4 comments on “West Wales Intermediate Cup Final”

  1. Wow! What a shock! There must be some mistake!

    A big thank you to the West Wales FA for this Appointment.

    Also, the same big thank you to the Swansea Referees Society and all who have passed on their congratulations to me for this Appointment. It's without doubt my biggest game.

    As the footballing cliche goes, I'm "Over The Moon" and am really looking forward to the challenge. I'd be lying if I said I was not a little nervous but once that first whistle goes I'm sure I'll be focussed on the job in hand.

    Finally, I would like to pass on my heartfelt congratulations to my Assistants, T A Jones and P Meredith together with S D Williams (4th Official) for their Appointments. I am looking forward to meeting them all - I know we will be a great team!

    Here's hoping the best team wins!

    Thank you all again!


  2. SOUTH Gower lifted the Evening Post West Wales FA Intermediate Cup for the first time after a 1-0 win over Bonymaen Colts at the Liberty Stadium.
    Jon Swain netted the only goal shortly before the break to seal the silverware for Peter Honey-Jones's team in a tight contest with their Swansea Senior League rivals.
    It was Bonymaen who had the first serious opportunity of the night after South Gower defender Matthew Jones was penalised for handball just outside the box.
    Centre-back Ross Edwards smashed the free-kick goalwards, but keeper Christopher Honey-Jones made a smart block.
    In the scramble that followed, Steve Gardener connected well with an overhead kick but the ball drifted harmlessly wide.
    The first half was a fairly even contest, though it was South Gower who created the better chances.
    Will James's 24th-minute long-ranger was saved comfortably enough by Bonymaen keeper Brian Sparkes.
    But Sparkes was required to make a superb stop four minutes later when James Gowing teed up James for a fierce drive which was destined for the top corner.
    A clever Dean Squires flick carved an opening at the other end but, after Dean Evans had given him the ball back, Squires dragged his shot wide.
    South Gower were soon pressing again, Gowing seeing an effort deflect narrowly wide before Matthew Kendall's dipping volley was tipped to safety by Sparkes.
    But the Bonymaen keeper was finally beaten three minutes before the break when Swain rose highest at the far post to nod home Andrew Ferguson's corner.
    Sparkes was back in action early in the second period, kicking away a James shot after Jon Gill had charged down Edwards's clearance.
    But it was Des Edwards's Bonymaen side who got stronger as the half wore on. Their appeal for a penalty was turned down after Andrew Allen tumbled, then Allen's right-wing cross reached Edwards at the back post only for him to shoot wide.
    Bonymaen were enjoying their best spell, but they were not giving Honey-Jones enough work in the South Gower goal.
    Ben Higgins might have sealed it for South Gower but shot wide, then Squires came as close as anyone to a leveller with a curling free-kick which Honey-Jones pawed to safety.
    Bonymaen pushed hard, but it was South Gower who almost doubled their advantage late on when James's shot was well saved by Sparkes.
    Bonymaen Colts: Sparkes, Robert Jones, Matthew Woods (Parry 85), Ellery, Edwards, Evans, Hughes (Cameron 80), Allen (Liam Woods 80), Gardener, Mark Woods (capt), Squires.
    South Gower: Honey-Jones, Swain, Jimmy Lee (capt), Matthew Jones, Harris, James, Gowing, Kendall, B Higgins (Jon Lee 88), Gill (capt), Ferguson. Subs not used: Withey, Atherton.
    Referee: Tim Drean (Penllergaer).

  3. Tim and his colleagues T A Jones,P Meredith,S D Williams (4th Official) following the WWFA intermediate Cup final. (see photo in Gallery page)

  4. What a great evening and an occasion I will never forget.

    Conditions were fine with a little drizzle beforehand which left a slightly greasy surface.

    Rather sheepishly, I asked the security chap if it was ok to go out onto the field to which he replied "Of course you can, you're the referee!" At that stage, it dawned on me what a big occasion my colleagues and I were lucky enough to be involved in.

    Conditions were fine with a little drizzle beforehand which left a slightly greasy surface.

    Both teams played their part in a closely fought contest on a big pitch. To be fair to the players, they listened to my pre-match briefing and focussed on playing good football in front of great support for both teams.

    I could have perhaps issued one or two cautions but tried to focus on talking as much as possible to the players and man managing each situation. I believe that the players responded well as there were no persistent offenders.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Search this site

Follow us on Facebook
Swansea Referees' Society
Copyright © 2010- 2022
WordPress Design by CiaoWeb